Exercise mats have a certain shelf life, just like anything else. You will ultimately need to replace them, no matter how diligently you keep them. We advise all of our customers to monitor their mats and to replace them as soon as they begin to exhibit serious wear and tear. Make sure your customers are always using the best flooring by following our advice:
The floor must be properly cared for if you want your mats to last for a long period. They will experience significant wear and tear, particularly if they are located in high-traffic areas of the gym. However, with appropriate care, you can extend their life and reduce the frequency with which you need to replace them.
- Regularly sweep the surface;
- Disinfect using a neutral pH cleaner;
- Regularly clean underneath the mat;
- Avoid dropping heavy or sharp objects on them;
- Avoid using corrosive cleaners; and
- Avoid wearing shoes with rubber soles or heels.
The majority of gym mats have a 12-month warranty, so if their condition worsens over that time, they may be changed. It's important to keep in mind that the manufacturer must decide whether the damage was caused by a manufacturing error or by misuse; if the latter, a replacement will not be covered by warranty.
It's a good idea to replace the mats as soon as you see evidence of severe deterioration if you manage a commercial gym. It is not alarming that they will naturally alter in shape and form due to varying temperatures and wear. However, it's time to start considering replacement if you start to notice any of the following issues:
- There are visible dents and holes;
- The colour has faded or worn off completely in some areas;
- It has become too stiff and doesn’t provide protection against damage;
- The pieces are curling and coming off at the corners; or
- The surface has started to flake and break off.
There are several items that may be used as gym mats, from anti-fatigue mats that are excellent for martial arts studios to non-slip mats that are fantastic for use in restrooms. If you need help choosing or if your mats need to be replaced because they are damaged, get in touch with us right once.