Owners of businesses frequently look ahead. However, they must look down if they wish to protect workers and visitors and prevent expensive and bothersome workers' compensation or personal injury lawsuits.
All employers are required to offer a safe workplace for their workers, and all establishments are required to take all necessary precautions to protect clients and guests from hazards that can be avoided. The standard and condition of the flooring in offices, structures, warehouses, and other facilities serve as the foundation for this.
Every organisation should include checking for potential slip, trip, and fall hazards in its safety programme. Business owners and property managers should routinely do a comprehensive inspection of the flooring inside their buildings as well as the walkways and other outdoor areas that people use to access them.
The following five items should be on your floor safety checklist:
- Step outdoors. Make sure that all outdoor walks are clear of clutter, snow, ice, and other weather-related dangers, and check for any cracks or uneven surfaces that could provide a tripping hazard.
- Move objects out of the way. You must remove any obstructions that can obstruct foot traffic in addition to wiping water and debris off your floors and outdoor surfaces. That implies there shouldn't be any debris, boxes, or obstructions.
- Enter the specifics. Hazards like spills and wetness are sometimes difficult to detect until it's too late. Don't forget to check by the loading dock, garbage and recycling locations, and other out-of-the-way places where liquids and other debris might develop and make nearby areas slippery and unsafe in addition to examining entrances and high-traffic areas.
- Be prepared for the unexpected. Although spills and other risks are practically guaranteed, you can never predict when or where they will occur. Pipes bursting, roofs leaking, and other unexpected events can create threats right away where none were merely a few seconds previously. Make a plan for how you'll react to, handle, and solve such issues right away.
- Purchase premium floor mats from Canada Mats to improve safety. The best commercial mats and floor covering goods are available on the market thanks to Canada Mats. Our products are made to be functional, long-lasting, and safe in a variety of settings.